As energy prices continue to increase in the U.S., the number of Salt Lake City residents who have become more conscious about their electricity consumption has also gone up. Many of them try to limit their use of their heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system use, while also making their homes more airtight.
Is an airtight home bad?
One thing about airtight homes is that they do help keep energy bills from reaching a shockingly high level. They also have significantly reduced ventilation, seeing as fresh and cool air from the outside can barely get inside. The problem with this is that HVAC systems depend heavily on oxygen. Whenever you turn it on, it consumes a lot of oxygen in your home and once deprived, it will start producing carbon monoxide.
What is carbon monoxide and should you worry about it?
First off, carbon monoxide (CO) is one of the deadliest types of gases. This is one of the most lethal, poisonous, and dangerous kinds of gases present in the air. When exposed, people can experience a variety of unpleasant symptoms. Long-term exposure, especially to high levels can even result in death.
The biggest concern about CO is its invisibility. Not only that. It does not have any taste or smell. This means your furnace might already be poisoning you, especially when it starts to malfunction.
Like any other appliance in your home, you need to take good care of your furnace. All Hours Plumbing and other experts noted that when you notice problems with it, it's best to have a furnace repair specialist in Salt Lake City fix them right away. This way, you can reduce the risk of your heating equipment to generate deadly CO gas while enjoying the warmth and comfort your furnace delivers.
Is your furnace doing more harm than good in your home? Know if it's already producing carbon monoxide and save your family from its threat.